Monday 3 January 2011

Building a new cupboard

Hi Friends,

today I spent the day building a new cupbaord for Rev Wasike. The house he and his family lives in has no running water, but is supplied with electricity (and therefore he belongs to the upper 25% of Kenyans, as still 75% have no electricity!). However, the house has hardly any furniture. In the kid's bedroom, there are two beds (shared by the four kids), that's it.

I've discovered some unused bricks in the garden and decided to build a very simple cupboard. For that I needed to buy six pieces of timber. Should not be too hard, should it? :)
It took us about two hours to get it... But now it's done, two new cupbaords (pictures will follow).

Not much happened today. I had my first "shower" consisting of two buckets of water, one boiling hot, the other freezing cold. Now try and work out yourself how to best shower... :)

Alex will be arriving tonight and tomorrow will be spent on traveling to Kimilili. We still haven't figured out how to best get there. A private car would cost around 90 Euros (8hours drive), the public Bus around 40 Euros (13hours drive!). Sounds like a very easy decision, doesn't it? However, money is such a rare resource here that taking the car just for comfort reasons is not being considered. Rev Wasike is looking into further options. With all the donations (three big luggages plus whatever Alex' brings in tonight) using the bus might be quite a challenge...

Next report will follow with ALEX from Kimilili. Take care and all the best!
And please feel blessed if your breakfast didn't consist of two pieces of untoasted toast and a cup of tea...
Agnes

1 comment:

  1. Hi Agnes
    I think I should stop reading your posts hahaha!! I guess you poor girls are going to go through real hardship!! I think it would have been easier for me to join you two rather than sitting here reading all of this!!! I cant wait to read Alex's first comments on all of this! Keep going strong and be safe! Big hug Rebecca

    ReplyDelete